Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University Compliance and Civil Rights

SGBV Reporting Requirements

If Sex or Gender Based Violence is Reported to You

If you are told about sex or gender based violence, please review the below sections to determine your reporting requirements or to learn about resources available to you.

Reporting Requirements

Regardless of your reporting requirements, WSU encourages reporting of all forms of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct and takes these reports very seriously. Please view the below sections to determine your responsibilities:

WSU Employees

All WSU employees who have information regarding an incident or situation involving sexual harassment or sexual misconduct are required to promptly report the incident to the Compliance and Civil Rights (CCR) or to one of the designated Title IX Coordinators or Deputy Title IX Coordinators.

There are limited exceptions to this requirement.  The exceptions are:

  • Employees who are statutorily barred from reporting (for example a medical provider)
  • Employees, interns, professional trainees, and other similar individuals who are not statutorily barred form reporting but who provide services to students in WSU’s Cougar Health Services or are otherwise designated by WSU to provide medical or mental health services;
  • Employees participating in preventative education for students regarding sex and gender-based violence or a related program, during which a student or employee discloses having experienced sexual harassment. These programs are designed to be safe spaces for students and do not require a report to CCR.
  • Employees who have no authority to take action to redress sexual harassment and who could not reasonably be viewed by students or other employees as having such authority; such employees are nonetheless strongly encouraged to report all instances of sexual harassment; and
  • Employees engaged in research and climate surveys which included gathering information on discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, and sex and gender based violence, during which a research participant discloses, for the purpose of the research, having experienced discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, or sex and gender based violence

WSU employees with supervisory responsibility must take immediate action to end offending conduct and protect the well-being of the complainant. Supervisors must take such interim measures in consultation with CCR, HRS, and the WSU Division of the Attorney General’s Office.

WSU Students

WSU strongly encourages students and others to report incidents of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, sexual assault, and other forms of sex and gender based violence, to the Compliance and Civil Rights (CCR).

Reporting to Police

Anyone who has experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct, sexual assault, stalking, domestic violence, or another crime may choose to report the incident to the police. WSU’s process is separate from the criminal process and can be pursued simultaneously. In most cases, CCR will defer to the complainant’s wishes regarding whether to contact police and/or file a complaint; however, there are situations in which the safety of the WSU community or other considerations may require CCR to report an incident to police. CCR will attempt to inform the complainant of its decision when this occurs.

Other Reporting

Under state law, all administrative, academic, and athletic department employees, including student employees are required to report suspected child abuse or neglect to law enforcement or to the Washington State Department of Social and health Services.  All other higher education employees are required to report suspected child abuse or neglect to their supervisor within 48 hours and also should report these incidents to law enforcement.

Helping a Survivor

If sex or gender based violence was reported to you, you can help the reporter locate resources for reporting, advocacy, healing, and safety.

Secondary Trauma

If you learn of sex or gender based violence, you may experience something referred to as “secondary trauma.”   If you need to speak with somebody about your concerns, you can reach out to: