File A Report or Formal Complaint

Letting CCR know about discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, or sex and gender based violence –including sexual assault, nonconsensual sexual contact, sexual exploitation, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking –allows us to connect you to resources and process options. CCR will consider your preferences. Individuals can file either a report or a formal complaint. A report lets CCR know about conduct and helps CCR get people connected with supportive resources. A formal complaint is a request for formal grievance processes as well as supportive resources. Descriptions of these options are listed below, and both options are available 24/7 online.

You may report a concern anonymously. However, please be aware that anonymous reporting may limit WSU’s ability to address the concern. If you are apprehensive about sharing your name, please know you can meet with a CCR representative in person, via telephone, or via Zoom to discuss your apprehensions, prior to sharing information about any specific incidents with CCR.

Sharing information through the online form, will trigger outreach from CCR to you. If you are in a situation where outreach may put you in further harm, please contact CCR via email, phone, or in person, and make sure to inform the person you contact about your specific safety needs.

If you are experiencing an emergency, dial 911.

Washington State University Amnesty Statement

Washington State University (WSU) encourages students to report incidents of sexual violence without fear of consequences for having possessed or consumed alcohol and/or drugs at the time of the incident. WSU’s primary concern is to ensure the safety of the students involved and gather relevant information so the university can address the student(s)’ concerns. Generally**, WSU will refrain from imposing formal discipline for alcohol or drug use and/or possession under the Standards of Conduct for Students for victims and potential witnesses of sexual violence in order to facilitate reporting and resolution of sexual violence concerns.

This practice will not provide relief from disciplinary action for other alleged violations of the Standards of Conduct (e.g., hazing, theft, drug/alcohol manufacture or distribution). Moreover, students who distribute alcohol and/or drugs that intentionally, or through negligence, contribute to the sexual violence will not be granted the same consideration.

**In rare circumstances, where the Center for Community Standards has concerns that a student’s repeat or severe misuse of alcohol or drugs will result in additional harm if unaddressed, the university may impose care-driven educational sanctions to address those concerns.

Reporting to Compliance and Civil Rights (CCR)

Sex and gender based violence can be reported to CCR which works closely with Human Resource Services (HRS) and the Center for Community Standards (CCS). CCR can facilitate a resolution, start an investigation, assist the survivor with campus safety options, and connect the survivor to local support, medical, and counseling resources. CCR’s investigation is separate from any criminal process and can be pursued simultaneously. CCR can determine whether the WSU policy prohibiting discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, and sex and gender based violence has been violated and then make recommendations to either CCS, if the respondent is a student, or to the relevant supervisor, if the respondent is an employee. CCR shares information about cases only on a need-to-know basis, but cannot guarantee confidentiality.

Individuals experiencing discrimination or harassment, including sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking, can share information with CCR and/or with the Lead Title IX Coordinator. There are two options available for sharing information; they are explained below.

File a Report or Formal Complaint Online

You may also submit by phone, email, mail or in person to:

Title IX Coordinator – Holly Ashkannejhad,
Deputy Title IX Coordinator – Jenna Van Klaveren
French Ad 220
Pullman, WA 99164

Compliance and Civil Rights
French Ad 220
Pullman, WA 99164


What is the difference between filing a report and filing a formal complaint?

Filing a Formal Complaint

Individuals should file a formal complaint if they have experienced discrimination or harassment and are interested in a formal university response, either an investigation or informal resolution (more information available in EP 15). If you are not sure if this is the right option for you, please choose instead to report your concerns and a CCR representative will explain the formal complaint process in more detail to you and answer any questions you may have.

After filing a formal complaint, CCR will review your complaint to determine if it is appropriate for an investigation or informal resolution under EP 15.  To proceed with an investigation or informal resolution is a formal process outlined in the CCR Procedural Guidelines, and for which the person accused of misconduct will be notified.

Filing a Report

Individuals should report a concern when they are seeking supportive measures, want to learn more about the process, want to share information they learned for review by the university, document concerns, or request a consultation regarding their concerns.

CCR will provide the reporter with information on supportive measures, how to file a Formal Complaint, and the process for informal resolutions and investigations.  If you are reporting information as a third party, CCR will reach out to the complainant with the same information.

Procedural Guidelines

Procedural Guidelines for Responding to Allegations of Violations of Executive Policy 15: WSU Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment.

Student Conduct Standards are available through the WAC at Standards of Conduct for Students.

Reporting to Law Enforcement

Call 911 for Immediate Emergency Assistance

Sex and gender based violence can be reported to law enforcement.  Reporters are urged to preserve any evidence and to also seek medical and counseling services.  Law enforcement can assist with filing criminal charges or pursuing a no contact order.


  • WSU Police Department | 509-332-2521
  • Pullman Police | 509-334-0802


  • Richland Police Department | 509-942-7340
  • Benton County Sheriff’s Department | 509-786-5615


  • Everett Police Department | 425-257-8700


  • WSU Vancouver Police Department | 360-546-9001, Text number: 360-690-1527
  • City of Vancouver Police Department | 360-487-7400


  • WSU Spokane Campus Security | 509-358-7995
  • Spokane Police Dept Help Line | 509-411-5980


Academic Concerns

If you have concerns about academics and the switch to online instruction, please reach out to the resources below: