Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University Compliance and Civil Rights

Resources – Studying Abroad

Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Assault Abroad

Authorities and the general public in other cultures may respond to reported cases of crimes and incidents (including sexual assault and harassment) differently than might be expected in the U.S.A.  If you are the victim of a crime, seek assistance from your study abroad program staff.  They may be in a much better position to deal with local authorities and cultural differences.

Note: Some countries have laws regarding sexual assault between members of the opposite sex but do not have laws regarding sexual assault between members of the same sex.  Some cultures are highly reticent to discuss the issue of sexual assault, especially between members of the same sex.


U.S. Department of State – Travel Information by Regions

The State Department’s Office of American Services and Crisis Management (ACS) administers the Consular Information Program, which informs the public of conditions abroad that may affect their safety and security.  Country Specific Information, Travel Alerts, and Travel Warnings are vital parts of this program.

9-1-1 Emergency Contact Numbers Abroad

U.S. consular officers are located at over 260 Foreign Service posts abroad. There are also consular officers in 46 foreign cities without U.S. embassies or consulates. They’re ready to provide assistance if you need it. From the U.S. or Canada, call 1-888-407-4747, or from overseas call 202-501-4444.

U.S. Department of State – Help for U.S. Citizens of Crime Overseas

Consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.  Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.  From the U.S. or Canada, call 1-888-407-4747, or from overseas call 202-501-4444.

WSU International Programs

Links to information on health and safety concerns for students studying abroad including Medical Insurance, Birth Control, Sex, AIDS, Emergency Medical, and Emergency Contacts for students studying abroad.  509-335-2541.

WSU International Travel Registry

Information on international travel, including registration, travel, and health insurance.

WSU Health Resources for Global Learning

Links to WSU, National, and Country Specific Services for students studying abroad.

Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center 

International domestic violence response, available 24/7, providing holistic services to the growing American overseas community of 80 million Americans traveling abroad annually and the 9 million that live overseas.

Sexual Assault Support and Help for Americans Abroad 

Provides sexual assault prevention and response regardless of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, or location worldwide.


BetterHelp is a counseling service available to students who have WSU’s graduate or international student health insurance. Professionally licensed counselors are available via ongoing text communications, live chat, phone, video, or groupinars.