Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University Compliance and Civil Rights

Reporting Sex and Gender Based Violence

There are several ways to report sex and gender based violence. WSU Policy prohibits retaliation against anyone who reports or participates in an investigative or disciplinary process. Please review the list below and select the option that best meets your needs.

Please note, WSU employees and student employees may have reporting requirements.  For more information, please visit Reporting Requirements

Reporting to the Compliance and Civil Rights (CCR)

Sex and gender based violence can be reported to CCR which works closely with Human Resource Services (HRS) and the Center for Community Standards (CCS). CCR can start an investigation, assist the survivor with campus safety options, and connect the survivor to local support, medical, and counseling resources. CCR’s investigation is separate from any criminal process and can be pursued simultaneously.  CCR can determine whether the WSU policy prohibiting discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment, and sex and gender based violence has been violated and then make recommendations to either CCS, if the respondent is a student, or to the relevant supervisor, if the respondent is an employee.  CCR shares information about cases only on a need-to-know basis, but cannot guarantee confidentiality.  Click on the links below for CCR contact information or to file a complaint.

Washington State University Amnesty Statement

Washington State University (WSU) encourages students to report incidents of sexual violence without fear of consequences for having possessed or consumed alcohol and/or drugs at the time of the incident.  WSU’s primary concern is to ensure the safety of the students involved and gather relevant information so the University can address the student(s)’ concerns.  Generally**, WSU will refrain from imposing formal discipline for alcohol or drug use and/or possession under the Standards of Conduct for Students for victims and potential witnesses of sexual violence in order to facilitate reporting and resolution of sexual violence concerns.

This practice will not provide relief from disciplinary action for other alleged violations of the Standards of Conduct (e.g., hazing, theft, drug/alcohol manufacture or distribution).  Moreover, students who distribute alcohol and/or drugs that intentionally, or through negligence, contribute to the sexual violence will not be granted the same consideration.

**In rare circumstances where CCS has concerns that a student’s repeat or severe misuse of alcohol or drugs will result in additional harm if unaddressed, the University may impose care-driven educational sanctions to address those concerns.

Reporting to Law Enforcement

Sex and gender based violence can be reported to law enforcement.  Reporters are urged to preserve any evidence and to also seek medical and counseling services.  Law enforcement can assist with filing criminal charges or pursuing a no contact order.

Call 911 for immediate emergency assistance.


  • WSU Police Department | 509-332-2521
  • Pullman Police | 509-334-0802


  • WSU Vancouver Police Department | 360-546-9001, pager #: 360-690-1527
  • City of Vancouver Police Department | 360-487-7400


  • Richland Police Department | 509-942-7340
  • Benton County Sheriff’s Department | 509-786-5615


  • WSU Spokane Campus Security | 509-358-7995
  • Spokane Police Dept Help Line | 509-411-5980


  • Everett Police Department | 425-257-8700